Endocrinologist/DAME: Professor Geoff Nicholson – MBBS (WA) PhD (Melb) FRACP FRCP (Lond)
Geoff was born, raised and educated in rural WA. He completed his medical degree at The University of WA in 1973 and in 1977 did Physician training in London. He then worked as a GP in Dampier WA (the Pilbara) followed by several years with the RAAF in Butterworth Malaysia as flight surgeon for 3 Squadron (Mirage fighters) and physician at No 4 RAAF Hospital.
After completing training as an Endocrinologist in Perth he did a PhD at The University of Melbourne and then joined the Department of Medicine at The University of WA. In 1990 he moved to Geelong as inaugural Professor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne and subsequently as Head of the multidisciplinary Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences, and Director of Barwon Health’s Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes, where most of Geelong’s current Endocrinologists were trained. When The University of Melbourne withdrew from Barwon Health in 2010, Geoff moved to Toowoomba as Head of University of Queensland’s Rural Clinical School. With the arrival of grandson Josh, Geoff moved back to Geelong in December 2014.
As well as his interests in clinical endocrinology, medical research (he has over >300 publications) and teaching, Geoff is committed to advancing rural and Indigenous health, and he has a lifelong passion for flying.
Geoff is certified CASA designated aviation medical examiner (DAME V137)
We will endeavour to get you through your Aviation Medical as quickly as possible, however it will assist us if you can follow the steps below:
- Aviation Reference Number (ARN) – Please let reception know what Class of Medical you require and your ARN. If you do not have an ARN, please go to the CASA website to create an account. An ARN can also be sorted via https://www.casa.gov.au/licences-and-certificates/aviation-medicals You cannot make an appointment without an ARN
- To Apply for the Medical – Go to https://mrs.casa.gov.au/Applicant – CASA will send link – Fill it out in full (boxes must be ticked for all questions) – Pay CASA – and then SUBMIT the medical (it must be submitted for the medical to proceed).
- Investigations/Reports (these should all be done before the medical appointment whenever possible)
- Class 1 and Class 3 applications require the following investigations/reports
– Fasting Blood Test for Glucose and Lipids
– ECG (done with the blood test) – Please bring a hard copy of the ECG Trace to the medical appointment
– Eye Examination by a Designated Aviation Ophthalmologist/Optometrist (see DAO list below)
– Hearing Test – Audiogram (see list below)
- For subsequent examinations some or all of the above will need to be done based on your age at the time of the examination.
- Class 2 – do not usually require investigations (although may be required if you have certain medical conditions, eg Diabetes, Heart Disease, Asthma etc) – Please discuss with Prof Geoff Nicholson (DAME)
- A urine specimen must be provided (on arrival onsite) at all examinations.
Where to get your Investigations/Reports done –
Blood Test / ECG – A request form is required.
|A request form is required and will be emailed to you by Professor Nicholson. We recommend an Australian Clinical Laboratory (ACL) testing site located in the Geelong CBD or in a regional city/town if you live outside of Geelong.|
Audiogram – Request/Referral form NOT required. Ring below to book in for an appointment
|Active Hearing |
1/361 Pakington St
Geelong VIC 3220
Ph. 03 5223 1238
|National Hearing Care |
109 Lt Malop St
Market Square Shopping Centre
Geelong VIC 3220
Ph. 03 5222 6882
DAO Examination – Request/Referral form NOT required. Ring below to book in for an appointment
|Dr Bruce Munro (CASA Designated |
338 Ryrie St
Geelong VIC 3220
Ph. 03 5222 3020
|Bruce McNeel (Credentialed Optometrist) |
Shop 35 Corio Shopping Centre
Corio VIC 3214
Ph. 03 5374 2277
|Yamamoto Tobimaru |
GMHBA Eye Care – Gateway Plaza
Shop G1046, 641 – 659 Bellarine Hwy
Leopold, VIC 3224
Ph. (03) 5297 3700
|Amanda Douglas |
Deakin Optometry Clinic
Level 3, Reach Building, Deakin University, 75 Pigdons Rd
Waurn Ponds VIC 3216
Ph. (03) 5227 8565
Fees apply for this appointment. PAYMENT IS EXPECTED ON THE DAY PLEASE
There is no Medicare rebate available on Aviation Medicals.
Class 1 Medical = $330 (inc GST)
Class 2 Medical = $330 (inc GST)
Class 2 Medical = $330 (inc GST) (Air Traffic Controllers and Aviation Fire Fighters)
NEW PATIENT FORM