Geelong Endocrinology and Diabetes Services opened in 2010 at the St John of God Specialist Centre, moving to its current premises at 248 Malop Street in June 2013.
In early 2020 we expanded into a newly renovated premises next door at 246 Malop Street to accommodate our growing specialities. We are incorporated and now known as GED Specialist Group. Here you will find specialists Dr Eva Koo, Dr Chris McAulay-Powell, Dr Michael Mok and Dr Karen Dwyer.
Practice Manager: Mandy Gladman
Administration Team: Melanie Mullen, Shelley King, Sally Poole, Lisa Allthorpe, Tara Roberston and Doris Wydro. All have extensive experience working in medical administration and have outstanding customer service skills.
Making an Appointment to see a Doctor or Diabetes Educator
To make an appointment you will need to:
- Obtain a valid referral from a General Practitioner or other Medical Specialist.
- Get the referral to us (by fax, post, dropping it in or email).
- Wait for a day or two for our Doctors to read your referral and determine how quickly they need to see you and how long they need to see you for.
- We will then phone you to arrange a mutually suitable appointment time.
Making an Appointment to see a Podiatrist or Dietitian
Appointments with our Podiatrist and Dietitian do not require referrals. However these appointments may be covered by Medicare if your GP has provided you with a Team Care Plan. Alternatively, if you have private health insurance extras cover, you may be able to claim part of the fees from your insurer.
24 hours notice is required for appointment cancellations or a cancellation fee maybe charged. 48 hours notice is required to cancel appointments with Diabetes Educators.
New Patient Information
Fees (Endocrinology and Diabetes Educators Only)
Geelong Endocrinology and Diabetes is a private practice, and therefore we charge fees for all consultations. We do not bulk bill and all appointments are to be paid for at the time of the appointment. Fees charged will vary according to the type of consultation, ie. length and complexity.
For specialist appointments, a rebate can be claimed from Medicare; however, there is usually a gap between the doctor’s fees and the amount that Medicare will reimburse you. This will result in an out of pocket or “gap” expense to you. We accept cash, credit card, or EFTPOS, Direct Debit. We can then submit your Medicare claim to Medicare online, if you are registered with them. This would mean your Medicare rebate is automatically deposited back to your nominated bank account, usually within 24-48 hours.
Veterans Affairs patients are billed directly to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Our fee schedule will be provided to all new patients prior to their first appointment. Rates for Dietetics and Podiatry can also be provided to you on request.
Full Endocrinology Fees (please contact the office for different Telehealth Fee structure)
|Initial Visit||Total payable $400 (with a medicate rebate of $234.85)|
|Subsequence Review||Total payable $200 (with a medicare rebate of $117.60)|
|Initial/Brief Consult||Total payable $300 (with a medicare rebate of $134.30)|
|Review||Total payable $140 (with a medicare rebate of $ 67.20)|
Please note: Pension Discounts apply to all card holders
Full Diabetes Educator Fees
|Routine appointment||Total payable on the day $ 85.00||Medicare Rebate $67.20|
|Long appointment||Total payable on the day $160.00||Medicare Rebate $67.20|
|Sensor Loan (Libre, Dexcom or Medtronic)
*includes cost of sensor required for continuous monitor
|Total payable on the day $190.00||Medicare Rebate $67.20|
- As from the 29th March 2021, we have had a fee change for all our Diabetes Education Appointments
- All Appointments with our Diabetes Educators will be under the supervision of an Endocrinologist
- For Pump Start and Upgrade Information & Appointment fees – please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have Gestational Diabetes, please contact us on 5201 6944 or email email@example.com to obtain important information and fees.
All appointments with our Diabetes Educators must have a current referral to one of our endocrinologists.
VicRoads Medical Reports
If you need to see an Endocrinologist for an appointment regarding your VicRoads licence, please let us know this when you book in for this appointment. Please bring to the appointment:
- Your most recent Optometrists report (if applicable)
- Your log book and/or meter (make sure you record your Blood Glucose Levels 3-4 times/day for at least one week prior to the appointment)
Supporting our community
Australian Clinical Labs are conveniently co-located at Geelong Endocrinology and Diabetes Services and offers a specimen collection service at the following times:
Every Tuesday 8:30am – 12:30pm – located at 246 Malop Street, Geelong.